[sldev] More crash rate statistics

Matt White mwhite at leporidae.net
Fri Aug 7 18:56:48 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Alex Dailey (Xan
Linden)<alex at lindenlab.com> wrote:

> Here's a challenge to sldev. Viewer performance is complex, dependent on
> bandwidth, hardware, the content on the region, other avatars, and so
> on. What do you think a) is the one variable viewer performance should
> ultimately be measured by and b) what are, say, three predictive
> variables that influence the dependent variable. E.g. if you think
> viewer fps is the one variable we should care about, what three factors
> would you consider most important that influence that value? I realize
> this is simplistic, but I'm curious to know from your experience, how
> would you quantify viewer performance.

Ohh, hard question.

The biggest "pain point" I have right now is all server-side. The
stability of the viewer has come a LONG way since LL shifted effort
into viewer stability and I am extremely thankful. Yes, there are some
feature issues, but viewer crashes are (for me at least) very rare.

It's gotten to the point where we have to restart sims about once a
week, if not more often. The performance will just slowly drag down
over time, but a restart clears it up.

When the sim gets into a "slow" state and I look at the script times
(since scripts seems to be the cause according to the stats bar), it's
never one script that's doing it. You'll see handfuls of scripts with
extremely high times... but the thing is, it's not consistent. If you
refresh the window, you'll see a different set of scripts.

As a system administrator myself, it "feels" like a server that's
being driven into the swap. This is just speculation from what I can
see on this side of the firewall, but that's how it feels to me. The
whole system will drag down - and a restart fixes it, as it frees up
whatever memory is available... for a few days anyhow.

- Matt White / Bunny Halberd