[sldev] More crash rate statistics

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Sat Aug 8 03:28:54 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 06:36:06PM -0700, Ann Otoole wrote:
> $300 a month for a 20 avatar region is pretty steep and the social networking
> aspects of SL are dying off since it is getting harder to have social events of
> any serious size.

Hear, hear! 20 avatars is indeed not enough.
It should be possible to have 100 avatars in a region without lag
(simulatorwise).

That being said, I'm VERY against adding all kinds of artificial limits.
Last I cammed over the sim (while dancing) and when I returned to my
avie, only 3 of the 300 prims that I was wearing as attachments we
still visible! Same of the other avies. Sorry, but that is unacceptable:
my machine can EASILY show all those attachments (it did BEFORE I
started to cam around!). Even if those prims had to be temporarily
be "dropped" while I scanned an area of 512m, when the cam returned
to my avatar it should have been restored to normal; and not let me
be stuck with horrible looking attachments on everyone.

The idea of LL to increase speed is to limit all kinds of things
then PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT! What we want is increase of speed
without paying in terms of less prims/tris. I'm sure that is possible,
since most of the code (of the viewer) is really badly written
concerning performance; I'm sure the same holds for the server, so
there will be a lot of room for performance without sacrificing
visible content.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>