[sldev] [VWR] VWR-489 Multiple Attachments per Attachment Point.

Obsidian Kindragon Kindragon at comcast.net
Wed Aug 12 12:45:07 PDT 2009

Hey everyone,

I noticed this Feature Enhancement requesting the ability to add
multiple attachments to the same attachment point, and someone even
provided a small mod to the Avatar_lad.xml file that allows one to have
3 attachments per point on the body, and even adds a few new (and long
requested) points as well. My question is why hasn't LL added the
support for these additional attachments into any of the official
clients? It only requires adding the additional points to the one xml
file and the sooner LL opts to support an extended standard the better
or people will start assigning random numbers to various attachment
points when they edit the file themselves.

Here's a link to the site with the mod file and instructions:
http://crystalserver.freehostia.com/slattachments.php

Here are different cons and pros regarding this addition to the client
that I've been able to see.

1. Only users with the mod / extended Avatar_lad.xml file will be able
to see the attachments on the extended points.

This is why I feel that LL needs to add support for these extended
attachment points now rather than later. The longer LL waits, the more
this user-defined mod will pass around and the harder it will be for LL
to steer users to their own extension of the attachment system.

2. Having multiple attachments to the same point allows users to further
customize their avatars with "additions" worn on top of other attachments.

The current situation for builders is that they may want to make an item
that uses an attachment point (e.g. "furry paw on a hand attachment
point") but don't want to prevent their buyers from wearing a "glove"
attachment, so the builder has to set their item to "modable" so the
buyer can link the glove to the paw. Adding the ability to wear two
attachments on the hand allows the builder to set the paw to "no mod" if
desired because the buyer can just wear the glove on top of the paw
using the second attachment point on the same hand.

This effectively would replace the need to detach, link two items
together, and then wear the new "composite" item which requires that
both items be modable, and preferably copiable as well.

3. Additional attachments allow griefers / abusers of attachments wear
more heavy lag attachments.

This is already an abusable situation we have with the number of
attachment points that currently exist. We also already have means of
reducing this form of abuse in muting the griefer with an excessive
number of prims/attachments and preventing the client from rendering
their attachments. Adding more attachment points will not increase in
the number of issues with griefing avatars wearing excessive
attachments, it just gives more freedom for builders and users to more
easily customize their avatars.

4. The "Attach To" option in the menus are large and overflowing with
the mod.

This could be corrected with a future addition by adding a more logical
and dynamic menu for choosing where to attach an object. I feel that the
benefits adding the additional functionality before the additional UI
improvement far outweighs the clutter.

5. The mod adds a "neck" attachment point for objects that need to move
with the neck and not the head or torso.

This is an attachment point that was long requested by builders. Some
avs use attachments that need to bend and move with the neck, but only
having the torso or head to use. This resulted in either using the torso
for neck attachments (stiff-necked avs) or the head attachment points
which results in the neck attachment moving far off the actual neck.

6. The mod adds "script" attachment points for unseen obejcts that are
attached just to run scripts.

This is useful for objects that have no need to be seen, but provide a
useful function through its scripts. Translators, some AOs, typing
overrides, hug/kiss control, etc, would all benefit from being able to
attach to these points where they are only used for the scripts inside
and not take up a body attachment point.

If anyone can see other pros and cons to having these additional
attachment points, I think we'd all love to hear. And if LL is already
working on attachment extensions, then I'm sure we'd all like to know
what's being done in that regard. VWR-489 hasn't had any Linden
interaction for a long time now.

- Obsidian Stormwind