[sldev] [VWR] VWR-489 Multiple Attachments per Attachment Point.

Aleric Inglewood aleric.inglewood at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 08:36:52 PDT 2009

Hey Boroondas,

indeed-- to an extend it would allow for equivalent manipulations
of attachments if you'd have:

Chest1
Chest2
Chest3
Chest4
Chest5
Chest6
Chest7
Chest8

etc attachment points, instead of

Chest + 32bit mask.

But indeed, the former would be equivalent only
with the latter if the latter was restricted to having
a single bit set in the mask; which would void the
need of a mask altogether (you could just use a number).

What I want to make possible is "automatic" removal
of attachments when the user wants that. You cannot
in advance think of when a user wants that because
the possibilities are endless. Hence, we need a system
that allows as much as possible.

An example would be: I can have the following
attachments on my 'chest':

* A tickler (invisible object that makes me laugh when clicked)
* A colar (extension of my coat).
* A necklace
* A hoodie (extension of my shirt)
* A titler (displays a text above my head)
* A hugger (could be attached elsewhere, of course)
* A second necklace (really, a 'military nametag' type of thing).

Most of those should NOT remove any of the others,
but now I find that the colar 'sticks' through the hoodie,
so I (the user) decides that if the hoodie is attached,
the colar has to go.

However, I have another shirt with a different colar,
and that colar is not sticking through the hoodie, so
I don't want to replace that colar when the hoodie
is attached. However, if I change shirts than I want
one colar to replace the other.

This would be possible when using a bitmask,
not when using just a heap of attachment points.