[sldev] [VWR] VWR-489 Multiple Attachments per Attachment Point.

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Thu Aug 13 06:19:00 PDT 2009

Aleric Inglewood schrieb:
> I think that each attachment should have a bit mask for
> community assignable categories

If I'm not mistaken, the modified XML is equivalent to the bit mask
solution. You don't have multiple attachments per attachment points but
rather more attachment points, some of which happen to have the same
position* as already existing ones. So there's a bijective mapping from
(attachment position, set mask bit)-pairs to attachment point IDs from
the modified XML. What's missing is only the naming of the categories
and a GUI that represents the bit mask rather than giving different
names to different IDs.

* by 'position' I mean the origin of the attachment points' local
coordinate system, not the attachments' position within that coordinate
system.

Of course, implementing it in the bit mask way would make it easy to add
fancy extensions, like e.g. attachments that have more then one bit set.
(A cyber armor glove with integrated ray gun might replace both other
gloves and swords when worn.) Then again, when the bit mask
implementation is chosen, the attachment-manipulating LSL functions
should probably reflect that too, by a different function signature.

Boroondas