[sldev] [VWR] VWR-489 Multiple Attachments per Attachment Point.

Tayra Dagostino tayra.dagostino at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 06:27:17 PDT 2009

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:49:41 +0200
Marine Kelley <marinekelley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to hear about that too... Are the Lindens going to
> consider adding points to the avatar_lad.xml file in the standard SL
> viewer and in snowglobe any time soon ? I'd like to deploy it with
> the RLV but if only the RLV users see the additional attachments
> positioned correctly on other avatars that would not make much
> sense... It is a file that everybody should have on the same version.

Before talk about attachment limit i think is better wait some kind of
implementation of patch to aid teleport (see Rob Lanphier email of 8
Jul 2009 18:40:27 -0700), actually is already troublematic teleport
with a "simple" prim made dress with a simple resize script inside....

number of vertex or triangle in an attachment is a load for viewer, i
think (but i don't read deeply viewer code about this) a server should
only logoff a agent from a sim and log in another one, and the agent is
the parent of all item, so for a server teleport a agent with 3 prims
attached and each prim is a cube or teleport sdame agent with 3 toroids
attached is same load.

maybe the simpliest workaround (but it isn't a solution) is to bind in
some way to quality slider in graphic the number of vertex or nodes, i
manually raised it (i've some jewells with some problem) and i haven't
problem or lag (but i'0ve a quad core with a GTX275 overclocked, i use
ULTRA graphic + fsaa4x and anisotropic ever turned on), some "old"[*1]
pc may suffer while render about 200 sculpet prims texturized as diamond
with partial alpha and more...

instead a lot of time i fail a tp and the cause is a dress or hud or
attachemtn: i remove it, so i tp in few seconds and re-attach it, as Rob
said in email indicated over here maybe is a nice patch take a status
of all script inside attachment and hud, froze them (or set norun) and
restore the previous script status after tp...

i think only after all teleport problem and automatic rendering algo
will be the right time to talk about number and kind of attachments...

[*1] an old pc may be one bought last christmas... not only a
'90s pc; and depend what the user want too, i know a lot of people with
historycal pc with "low" graphic quality, they stay on the grid with
poligon, no bump, no shadow, nothing, and "live" happy in this way, if
i want the top of state of the art in graphic quality my pc is forever
"old" starting from next day i bought.