[sldev] Licensing of SL avatars and animations

Jacek Antonelli jacek.antonelli at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 23:15:33 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Dahlia Trimble<dahliatrimble at gmail.com> wrote:

> The meshes, skeletons, and animations for the SL avatars have been available
> for download at http://secondlife.com/community/avatar.php however there is
> no licensing terms listed for these content. I've heard it stated by several
> people that these are available under Creative Commons, but I cannot find
> anything which explicitly states this. Also, apparently the morph targets
> for these meshes have been extracted and formatted for use in 3D
> applications and are available here:
> http://www.ccccybernetics.com/avatar_databank/
>
> Where might I look to find explicit licensing terms for these content?

I don't know the licensing terms for the content at
http://secondlife.com/community/avatar.php . Like you, I don't see any
indication of licensing terms.

If the Avatar Databank meshes are extracted from the actual SL mesh
files (as the site says they are), then those are licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License:

The SL avatar meshes (in "LLM" format, LL's custom mesh format) are
included in the viewer artwork packages, which you can find at:

  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Source_downloads

The licensing information for all the viewer artwork is described in the
misleadingly-named "LICENSE-logos.txt" file in the "linden" directory
of the artwork zip files. The mesh files are in the
"linden/indra/newview/character/" directory.

As for the animations -- at first glance, the artwork package does not
seem to contain them. But, they could be embedded in
"linden/indra/newview/app_settings/static_data.db2". They are
referenced by asset UUID in "linden/.../app_settings/viewerart.xml" in
the source package (see http://tinyurl.com/q8oegb ).

So, the licensing status of the animations still seems ambiguous. I'd
assume they are "All rights reserved" until/unless there's evidence
otherwise.

- Jacek