[sldev] Snowglobe on OpenSim grids

Philippe (Merov) Bossut merov at lindenlab.com
Fri Dec 4 11:46:01 PST 2009

Hi Lisa,

Glad you like Snowglobe 1.2 and some of its newest features :)

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Lisa Denia <eiffel56 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I would like to have 2 things:
> - A way of disabling HTTP map textures completely, so the viewer returns to
> it's old behaviour.
> - The possibility to change the HTTP map texture URL somehow

Well, I think we just need one of the 2, not both :) My vote goes to the
second suggestion: allow the HTTP map texture URL to be changed somehow.

Before doing this though, I'd really like to know how the old map could
possibly work with OpenSim: the map tiles were taken from the asset server
using a scheme just as inflexible as the one we use now with S3 hosted tiles
over HTTP. So, I'm puzzled... Could you describe how the map tiles are
stored and organized in OpenSim so that we can come up with a workable
solution? (I bet there's a spec somewhere so a pointer to this would be very
much appreciated).

Cheers,
- Merov