[sldev] Script/Parcel/Memory Limits

Ilana Debevec ilana.debevec at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 16:54:51 PST 2009

I've been watching the conversation for a while and have a few thoughts on
the whole thing from
a non-pro view. We make .. er.. specialized furniture and because of it's
'special', they may have
more scripts than some would. We've spend the last 3 month tweaking,
slashing, compacting,
re-writing and trying to combine/enhance/streamline our script base. Most of
the comments seem
to be directed toward avatar attachments, but if you limit things based on
the avatar, what about,
let's say a store where you have a LOT of things out on display, all
scripted.. will it be necessary
to have a dozen alts to 'own' the displays? How about vendors? Some have
done some great
work in getting their script count down, some not.

Another thought, the new functions Babbage has talked about are a good start
to eliminate excess
scripts, but from what's been mentioned, some more REALLY would make things
a bit easier.

#1 llLinkParticleSystem() - this really should be a priority to add, there
are lots and lots of things
our there with multiple setups for particle effects. We do custom basr that
hav some particle lighting
effects, 1 script per prim for where they come from. Could drop 6-10 scripts
right there. And for our
furniture, guaranteed elimination of 4-15 scripts per piece (see:
Lockmeister system).

#2 llEndScript() - oh yes, please.Now let's add in the option maybe to
llEndScript(string script_name)
and llStartScript(string script_name) so that you can 'turn them on/off'
with a single controlling script
and not have to turn EVERYTHING on with a 'Reset Scripts' from the client
menu (sometimes yes,
you need a sledgehammer, some times you need a small gentle tap.

#3 Speaking of sledgehammers vs the gentle tap,
llGetLinkPrimitiveParamters() absolutely yes, but
how about some 'precision functions'.. llGetLinkAlpha() for example.. let's
say you're doing a window
control system, you use llGetLinkPrimitiveParamters() to get the current
alpha of the outside face of
a window... which returns a list (not cheap in memory), then you send it
back a new list (more memory)
to change the alpha.

or...

llSetLinkAlpha(front_window, outsideface,
llGetLinkAlpha(front_window,outsideface)*.20);

and the outside transparency is changed to 20% of what it was.  q.e.d?

#4 want to get rid of a major script attachment? Integrated AO into the
client.. it can be done.

Just a few thoughts.