[sldev] In-world group to announce meetings/etc

SignpostMarv Martin me at signpostmarv.name
Tue Feb 24 00:26:20 PST 2009

For recurring events, Zai and I figured the best solution was to have
the template prepend the "next " string to the {{#time}} function- so a
meeting occuring at 2pm every Monday would literally just be entered as
"Monday, 2pm". From the example on
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Template:HCalendar_event/Office_Hours

{{hCalendar event/Office Hours
|mode={{{mode|}}}
|Resident=Magellan Linden
|weekday=Tuesday
|start=10:30am PST
|end=11:30am PST
|description=Storytelling. How I found Nautilus City and what I'm up to with this Mole Tank.
|location=[http://slurl.com/secondlife/Omidyar/128/128/10 Omidyar]
}}

The auto-update method relies on the wiki cache expiring on a weekly
basis, though if this fails to occur (for whatever reason), minor
updates to the article can easily force a cache-refresh.

The entire article effectively becomes a noticeboard for tacking memos
about events (individual hCalendar event blocks) onto, with services
such as Technorati's automatically detecting these then transforming the
document into one suitable for subscribing in iCalendar, Google
Calendar, Lightning etc.

Zai and I also figured out a solution to apply the template to
non-persons (e.g. articles representing groups, not individuals) by
passing a blank namespace parameter, which defaults to User, e.g.
|namespace={{{namespace|User}}}

This means the existing Office Hours templates could be used for the
Open Source meeting templates.

If the template isn't sufficient, then new wrappers to
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Template:hCalendar_event could be put
together, or as with the table-row mode template for the Office Hours
system, entirely new templates could be put together, so long as the
output followed the hCalendar spec: http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar

And yes, it is a great achievement, considering it has been languishing
in development for over a year :-P

~ Marv.