[sldev] Format of install.xml

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 17:27:40 PST 2009

I'm trying to programmatically select the correct download URI from
install.xml, and I've so far worked out this XPath expression to do so for
the linux64 edition of glh_linear:

"//key[text()='glh_linear']/following-sibling::map[1]/key[text()='packages']/following-sibling::map[1]/key[text()='linux64']/following-sibling::map[1]/uri/text()"

This seems overly complex to me.  Wouldn't it be easier to do a little more
nesting in that file's format?  The keys and maps are laid out as siblings
when the key could simply be attribute of a map...

Maybe I'm just using the wrong tools?

My goal is to make a(nother) BASH script that automates the downloading of
dependencies in preparation for compilation.

Is there a reason why install.xml is structured the way it is?  If so, can
it be refactored into something easier to run queries against?

Thanks,
Ricky
aka Cron Stardust