[sldev] Compiling successfully with VC++ 2008 Express

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 04:05:57 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Michael Schlenker
<schlenk at uni-oldenburg.de> wrote:
>> Where belongs cl to? cygwin, cmake? I can't find it anywhere.
>>
> cl is microsofts VC compiler, you should put it in your PATH so it
> gets found, usually by running some vcvars32.bat file first.

Yes, that is an option when install ing visual studio to add it to the
[HKCU] path.

An alternative is to open the visual studio command prompt. If you go
to the Start menu entry for the visual C++ of interest you will see a
tools folder with "Visual Studio 2008 Command Prompt", this opens the
command prompt AND runs the vcvars32.bar for you in a single operation
so you know you have the correct environment set up. This also allows
you to work with 2003/2005 and 2008 on a single system by just opening
the required visual studio command prompy.

Robin