[sldev] Body motion and facial expression tracking, Microsoft did it

Philip Rosedale philip at lindenlab.com
Mon Jun 1 17:40:38 PDT 2009

they are using a depth camera (basically a camera with pixel 'radar'
that measures the distance to the image), which we have experimented
with over a year ago (Merov worked with the same camera that is in the
XBox).   Using this camera will require every consumer to acquire a new
piece of hardware that costs more than $100.  Many of the same tricks
can be done using a macbook or webcam, and that is what we are inspired
about right now.

It feels kind of rude to say "they beat you too it, and did it big time".