[sldev] Merging easybuild-2 into Snowglobe (Re: http-texture merged into easybuild-2)

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Tue Jun 2 16:29:14 PDT 2009

On 06/02/2009 04:03 PM, Mike Monkowski wrote:
> Boroondas Gupte wrote:
>
>> Mike Monkowski schrieb:

>>> Where would I find the documentation on how to use it?
>>>
>> at https://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/sldev/2009-May/013941.html
>>

> That looks pretty much like the usual CMake instructions.  I compile on
> MS Windows not Linux, so I can't be sure.  The only difference I see is
> that you don't have to get the third party libraries.  Is that right, or
> are there other deltas?

The main difference is that develop.py is completely optional.
install.py is now called from CMake, so there's no prep work we're
relying on develop.py for.

We're planning to keep develop.py around to make life a little easier
for those developers (read: mainly Lindens) who are already used to it.
If it turns out that this results in develop.py becoming a semi-required
step, then we may get a little more medieval on it, but hopefully, more
and more people just ditch using develop.py.

The other differences are going to be under the hood.  For example, if
you forget to install the artwork bundle, it'll at least say "you forgot
to install the artwork bundle" (and now that public_fetch_tarballs.py
exists, it's probably trivial to make it just fetch the artwork bundle,
but maybe we'll fix that up after the merge)

Rob