[sldev] Body motion and facial expression tracking, Microsoft did it

Ron Blechner ron at involve3d.com
Mon Jun 8 08:31:25 PDT 2009

The problem with the handshake:

In short - it's 2 seconds worth of interaction. That's a tiny amount
of reward for a tremendous amount of work it would take to make it
better. And, there are already handshake and bow animations - they
don't line up with another avatar, but doing all the work to make
handshakes doesn't even create a new function - it just polishes an
existing one.

Compare that with putting in effort to do better facial animations -
that would affect 100% of the time of interaction between two people.
And consider that facial animation programming is *client-side* by
nature, and doesn't require breaking apart and redoing the avatar code
in Second Life to the degree that handshakes / puppeteering does.
That's a helluva lot more results for a helluva lot less effort.

I'd also like to add that, as Lawson pointed out, there is cultural
bias. According to Neilsen, there are 170 million Americans actively
using social media. There are twice that in China alone. China has 20%
of the world's population. Are we here to make a Western metaverse, or
a global one based on ideals not bound by one country, or one culture?
The reason we handshake instead of bow is because the West has
controlled the vast amounts of wealth in the world. Like it or not,
the West is spending its Wealth and a tremendous amount is going to
the East. In 20 years - we all may be bowing, like it or not.

I don't want to ruffle too many features, but it's an important
exercise to escape one's own assumptions and biases when debating
functionality with a platform whose stated goal is to be "a new
country", as Rosedale would say.

And to bring this back - the larger issue is that people tend to get
caught up in particular niceties like handshakes and miss
bigger-picture items. What good are handshakes if the rest of the
conversation is less meaningful because it lacks facial expression?

I say, FORGET puppeteering. Forget handshakes. Let's focus our efforts
on something much easier to accomplish, and with far more impact on
Second Life. Facial expressions from video.

*runs off to blog these thoughts*

--
Ron Blechner
Chief Technology Officer