[sldev] C++ Unit Testing interface is changing

Paul Oppenheim (Poppy Linden) poppy at lindenlab.com
Fri Jun 12 00:13:56 PDT 2009

Unit tests are small projects that combine tiny parts of the source tree with testing harnesses. By running tests against small portions of the project with every submit, new bugs are caught as early as possible. In the Lab we've been ramping up to write many more of these tests. If you've started writing unit tests for your code, thanks! This message is for you about some changes coming up.

This is a notice that the CMake interface for adding unit tests in indra code is going to be changing quite a bit very soon. The gist of it is that ADD_BUILD_TEST is now LL_ADD_PROJECT_UNIT_TESTS, and it behaves much more like adding a target in cmake (as it now takes a list of all sources under test for a project).

In the process, I'm heavily updating our docs on unit testing, centrally accessible from:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Unit_tests

Just letting you know - if you're writing unit tests, you will have to change your CMakeLists.txt. There are some subtle new features, you can see some of them in use in indra/newview/CMakeLists.txt after the merge. This change is being done to facilitate future work in making unit testing in our builds more scalable.

+ poppy