[sldev] Late night thoughts on ways to prevent griefing

malachi at tamzap.com malachi at tamzap.com
Fri Jun 12 22:17:12 PDT 2009

call it stupid. or just call it a late night rant amongst friends. but after
a few rounds at the ol think box we have found a very easy way to if not
completely eliminate at least prevent a majority of griefers from attacking
us. ;)

we already have to pay to upload sounds. and textures. and even animations.
and griefers tend to do this on their main accounts and then copy the asset
uuid to patch into their scripts. but what if......... and please bare in
mind this is silly but it might just work.....

what if LL slapped a nice little charge on scripts. be it a 10L per script
charge. or a method of forcing residents to age and payment verify before
given the ability to create scripts. the latter would force all the stupid
script kiddies off the grid as they couldnt show proof of their age and
surely these 14-15 year old punks dont have credit cards. Plus the added
benifit that LL would have RL contact information on these clowns that waste
region resources with stupid prims and particles. Griefing is another form
of internet terrorism in some cases lol.

the per script charge way would also link alts to main accounts as the main
would be sending 10 or 20L at a time to their alts so they could create
scripts. alt abuse causes you to lose both accounts. this would show these
people that just cause they use an alt doesnt mean they have the right to
grief others.

i know that alot of people will say that charging residents for the right to
script is wrong... ye but if you look at it that way.. charging me to have a
texture is wrong too. LL charges for textures and sounds and animations
cause they take up space on LL servers. scripts do too. so why not charge
for them? i personally would not mind paying for the right to create
scripted content. and this would benifit the community as well cause you
would then have the feeling of security that when you go shopping for an
item you know that the person that made it has legit information with LL and
they arent jsut some conartist selling you some fake scripted something.

sorry for taking up your time guys and gals... keep up the good work with
the viewer work. just thought i would get the opinion of others that are
legit creators in this virtual world we all share.

mal