[sldev] Rendering Limits

Ann Otoole missannotoole at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 18 08:57:23 PDT 2009

Watch this video for an idea as to the significance of the destroyed content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr3_bqlYQwQ

That video was posted on http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-14049 which is pretty obviously a duplicate of http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-13868 but I'm not closing it since it has more angry people piling in.

It is not limited to small art pieces like that necklace and pretty much a lot of period jewelry and outfits. I have heard reports of half of people's stores vanishing causing them to try putting stuff back when the prims are still there. I expect to hear about "phantom prims, and all sort of stuff.

No announcement was made about such a catastrophic nuking of Second Life before it was rolled out. There was nothing I saw in release notes indicating LL had elected to destroy content in this manner.

Again, as long as rendermaxnodesize is available to be overridden then it is a matter of educating the residents. Or LL could raise the limit to 8192 and most builds would be fine and only people with computers not even qualified to connect to SL would experience impeded frame rates. LL needs to increase the minimum hardware requirements to 2GB and nvidia 8000 or better GPU anyway.