[sldev] Rendering Limits

Melinda Green melinda at superliminal.com
Fri Jun 19 13:45:44 PDT 2009

That's an interesting suggestion, Nexii. I'm not sure how the LL
designers feel about all those Windlight preferences but I wouldn't be
surprised if they'd mostly prefer to hide or eliminate most of them.
There's always a tension between number of controls and the
all-important SL learning curve.

One way to break this logjam is to start using the new XUI features to
allow external designers to create custom UI without the need for
developers to hook them in and compile entire custom viewer binaries and
then update them with each viewer version. Skinning is the first step on
that road but there is a lot of other useful stuff under the hood that
can also be used today. My favorite is the "control_name" XUI tag which
lets you associate check box and slider values with particular saved
settings. When you load a floater or other XUI element containing a
check box or slider with that tag, then it takes it's initial value from
the named saved setting and automatically saves back out modified values
as the user interacts with those controls.

This is extremely powerful and should let you create your custom panel
to control any of the boolean or real valued settings that you see in
the debug settings floater. The only thing really missing here (other
than support for more control types) is the ability to launch a custom
floater. Ideally that would come with the badly needed keyboard
remapping functionality to allow you to specify a hot key to load a
named floater. (Hint: Great Snowglobe feature here!) Since we don't have
that yet, you'd probably have to append your controls to some existing
floater if you want to add controls without programming, but that
shouldn't be too awful.

-Melinda