[sldev] Client bandwidth and server lag

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 10:35:54 PDT 2009

It certainly makes circuits less fragile over long hauls and spotty
links, reduces client-side lag on underpowered systems, and makes it
less likely that your viewer will lose connection to the sim while
you're mucking about with the file-selector or saving a snapshot.

Large quantities of undelivered buffered data at the sim side is
probably no better or worse than fat throughput rates, so I'll put the
below in the 'myth' category.

Colin Kern wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> There's this idea that seems pretty much ubiquitous in SL now, which
> is that everyone can help reduce sim lag by not setting their maximum
> bandwidth about 500 kbps.  I want to get everyone's reaction to this,
> because to me it sounds like a myth.
>
> I think the logic that people are following is that since you're not
> downloading the textures as fast from the server, it puts a lower load
> on it.  But you still have to download the same amount of data, and
> does it really make that much of a difference if you do it in 5
> seconds instead of 20?  I could maybe understand lag being more
> "bursty" with higher bandwidths, but it seems like if you have a
> fairly busy sim where avatars are teleporting in or moving around
> frequently, having lower bandwidth settings increases the chances of
> your download overlapping with someone else's, so the overall load on
> the server evens out.  Also, it seems like it would be trivial to have
> the servers monitor and throttle their download requests to prevent
> getting overloaded from client texture requests.
>
> What are all your thoughts on this?
>
> Thanks,
> Colin Kern
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev