[sldev] RLV breakage, derivative works, and non-GPL patches

Nicholaz Beresford nicholaz at blueflash.cc
Mon Jun 29 06:59:13 PDT 2009

Marine,

 >> That's not asking much, I think. I often wonder what the people who
insist on me going GPL have in mind for the viewer. <<

It's actually you who puts the business of the inworld people at risk,
because your license threatens the base on which the inworld businesses
reside, i.e. redistrubtable viewer binaries.

Everybody who provides a binary (and you do provide these) which takes
in GPL and not providing full source under the same terms, is in
violation of the copyright of those who have given *you* code you take
in (i.e. Linden Lab).  A simple DMCA or nastygram from the LL law
department and the binaries would be offline.  This is your own decision
of course, risking your skin this with your own binary builds.

You are also putting all other builders at risk, who make binaries with
RLV support.  Either they violate GPL (i.e. the copyright of LL and all
other ingoing patches from other devs like me who provide their stuff
under GPL, expecting that all derivative work is GPL too) by not being
able to provide full source with same rights, or they violate yours.

Besides, as far as I can tell, you are trying to make a license ex-post.
  It's somewhere on a blog far away from the actual source (I would have
never found it myself if I had had any interest in the source), and you
posted the license terms in May, while your patch (or older versions)
have been out since 2008 (or even 2007) and everybody assumed it was GPL
like every other patch out there.

 >> ... what I want is a consistent, monolithic system so that business
owners do not have to wonder which flavor of the RLV their script is
talking to. <<

It's not about your reasons or good intentions, it's that even with the
best intentions you can't make up the rules as you go and even make
others break license rules, when they actually help you broadening the
base of *your* inworld business

Nick