[sldev] gstreamer

Glen Canaday gcanaday at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 15:39:40 PDT 2009

I just erased a huge rant relating to trying to use a 32-bit gstreamer on a
64-bit Linux installation. I'll just say this: it doesn't work and it will
never work. At this point any streaming through the client at all brings it
down like a sack of bricks the moment it is activated.

I can't build my own client though I would love to. TYVM for the OpenAL
sound-- I can finally use system sound and viewer sound at the same time. For
the first time ever, in fact, and it's awesome!

However, streaming just isn't going to happen. I would like to remove the
gstreamer dependency completely and be allowed to choose my own streaming
backend... for example, OpenAL / Jack / ?? / ALSA for system sounds and voice,
gstreamer / xine / ?? / Phonon for streaming media.

Has anyone here ever successfully compiled a 64-bit Linux client on Ubuntu
8.10? How? I'll bet that for the meantime, being able to do that will go a
looooong way toward being able to get gstreamer to work until I can see about
adding a backend switch.

--GC