[sldev] SLDev Digest, Vol 27, Issue 45

Boy Lane boy.lane at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 20:22:08 PDT 2009

A couple of things to note here.

The current b160 sources were reportedly posted on 3dxviewer.com at
22nd/23rd March. And they were backdated to 9th March to make them looking
like they were in compliance earlier.

It is a current source tree that fits their binary, however Dale is right.
They try to make it difficult to compile a working version and they
obviously want to prevent that anyone builds a 3rd party viewer other then
KirstenLee's that can connect to their grid. They have said that several
times and actively block all other viewers and tools by some obscure
undocumented protocol change. Perhaps it's indeed only the version string
:).

What is missing in the source tree are a cmake file to include the OGRE SDK.
That is mentioned in the 5 lines readme. What is also missing are some
resources, icons if I remember correctly. Minor things and I don't think
that was intentionally left out. GPL doesn't require to include libraries
into a published source but as Dale wrote the required scripts to
incorporated them (here cmake) should be there (GPL2 3.c)

I was able to build the 160 viewer by manually installing the libs (easiest
way to do so is by copying them from KirstenLee's older b84 sources), adding
the missing resources the compiler complained about and commenting out two
"include (Ogre)" lines in indra/CMakeLists.txt and
indra/newview/CMakeLists.txt.

It was successful and it could connect to OLG.

There was a lot of discussion about the whole issue in
http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/other-grids-virtual-worlds/26798-openlifegrid-continues-violate-gpl.html
Please refer to that for more details.

Boy