[sldev] Improving SL First Hour Experience through WYSIWIS

Moriz Gupte moriz.gupte at gmail.com
Thu May 7 08:48:11 PDT 2009

Hello,
Back in the days (http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=28056)
It was clear then and is clear now that the opportunity to share views with
peers in collaborative situations is of primary importance.
CamSync is an example of one of the most useful HUDs in SL for orientation
and teaching purposes and allows an avatar to see what another is looking at
hence, What You See Is What I See. There are a few issues here though...
view lag and choppiness...

How about having an additional item on the piechart menu when u right click
on an avatar to be 'Share view'

The person who initiates this menu item 'Share view' will become the guide
by default...'intent here is to reduce 'follow or guide menus' to a single
item. I see this a great way to compensate for the lack of deixis (pointing
cues...looking at micro facial gestures..gaze direction... head point
etc...to infer point of interest) in SL due to inherent difficulties which
prevent its successful implementation in the near future-
I understand that there is a choice to be made between what residents and
implement and what the client developers do, I think in this case, since a
lot of new users will not know how to find the inventory in the first place,
making this a client functionality is a plus.
Sorry if this has been discussed earlier. Just think it deserves another
look.
Rameshsharma Ramloll (Ramesh)
Bio: http://snipurl.com/3p5ap , LinkedIn profile: http://snipurl.com/3p5o2 ,
Blog: http://snipurl.com/3p5op , Play2Train: http://www.play2train.org