[sldev] Concept of "loaded avatar" was changed?

Melinda Green melinda at superliminal.com
Tue May 12 13:07:09 PDT 2009

Tigro Spottystripes wrote:
> Aimee Trescothick escreveu:
>
>> On 12 May 2009, at 13:38, Tateru Nino wrote:
>>

>>> You'd think so, wouldn't you? You should both have each-other's
>>> textures already cached at the very least. Unless the texture IDs
>>> change in a sim-crossing.... and they shouldn't do that, right? If
>>> those IDs aren't changing, then it looks like there's a false
>>> discard going on.
>>>

>> As far as I know, baked textures are only held as temporary textures
>> on the sim, so they won't be available in the new region after a
>> teleport until the client uploads them on arrival.
>>
>> However, if your client has baked textures cached for another avatar
>> from the previous region ideally it should continue using those until
>> it is able to obtain fresh ones from the new region, rather than
>> clouding the avatar. That would give a more seamless experience than
>> what appears to happen now.
>>
>> The only minor "issue" I can see with that at first inspection, is if
>> the other person changes clothes before following you, in which case
>> their  appearance to you would be out of date until their new baked
>> textures are available.
>>
>> Aimee.
>>

> Shouldn't the servers share this info between them?

I think it would be overkill to make sims share baked textures
peer-to-peer, however there seems to me to be a simpler way to share
baked textures which is to turn them into ordinary assets. Each avatar
would only have a small, finite number of these so I wouldn't expect
them put too much of a burden on the servers. I could even imagine good
reasons to make baked textures part of the agent data, but in the
short-run I wonder whether the simple solution would be to make baked
textures into ordinary assets.

-Melinda