[sldev] Media Rendering Plugin Framework Interaction

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Thu Nov 12 07:04:04 PST 2009

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> If the plugin links to a GPLed program then it has to be covered by
> the GPL. A plugin using an arms-length scheme like the proxy scheme I
> proposed some time back wouldn't be a problem, but I can't see how you
> could implement a plugin that does something like rendering content
> onto a prim with that kind of interface.

The media plugin uses shared memory + a socket stream for discrete
events like raw mouse/keyboard i/o.

Reading and writing into the same address shouldn't count as "linking"
else any app that used hardware mapped memory would be verbotten. E.g.
anything using a graphics card or a print buffer.

Lawson