[sldev] Client detection and official viewer signatures

tinselsilvera at frontiernet.net tinselsilvera at frontiernet.net
Tue Oct 20 11:14:35 PDT 2009

Regarding Maya's Snowglobe observation "It doesn't do anything the end-user can see as different, currently."

I can only speak of my own experience in saying that you are wrong on that point.  My inworld experience, post windlight, pre Snowglobe, was a world of gray.  Everytime I visited a new place I would have to wait up to ten minutes for my world to rezz around me.  Since Snowglobe, and the way it handles textures, I no longer live in a world of gray.  Snowglobe has changed my experience for the better.  Is it the end all, be all, viewer?  Not yet.  I still have screen freezes ending in crashing out at least once per session.  I also have temporary screen freezes that are annoying.  But total overall experience?  Huge improvement for me.

I have tried most of the third party viewers with the same gray/slow results as the LL standard viewer.  My setup is amd dcp 4400+ 2.3ghz, GeForce 9500 GT 1gb, dsl connection.

--
Tinsel Silvera
Spoke n' Cog, Owner