[sldev] Client detection and official viewer signatures

Maya Remblai snowfox102 at dragonkeepcreations.com
Tue Oct 20 16:12:19 PDT 2009

That's because Snowglobe handles textures differently, and apparently
your computer has trouble with the standard viewer's method. So you're
right on that point, that Snowglobe does have that going for it.

But what I was talking about was more along the lines of features.
Snowglobe's texture handling isn't something that the average user will
notice, because their computer can run SL properly already. In theory,
anyway. When I say Snowglobe doesn't do anything new from a user's
standpoint, I mean it doesn't have any new abilities. No flexisculpts,
no extra attachment points, avatar alpha masking, no features that users
have been asking for for months/years and should be in *some* test
viewer somewhere. The fact that third party viewers already have lots of
new features and are open source (so they COULD be in Snowglobe) gives
me very little faith in the Snowglobe project. It's all under the hood
stuff, no attention is being paid to feature inclusion. Developing
requested features and fixes is just as important in a development
viewer as redone calculations, and Snowglobe isn't doing it.

Maya