[sldev] 3rd party viewer policy post on blogs.secondlife.com

Mike Dickson mike.dickson at hp.com
Tue Oct 20 17:42:46 PDT 2009

The problem is its fixing the wrong place.  Either the viewer is
opensource or its not.  If there are issues with the viewer exploiting
content they need to be fixed at the protocol level. And yes, that's a
hard, maybe even impossible problem to fix since the client sort of
needs access to assets to render them.

I suppose you could require some kind of code signing and use that to
prove you're a sanctioned viewer.  It wouldn't mean that viewer couldn't
be used on OpenSim for example. But really, if you opensource a project
you sort of lose the ability to dictate how its used.  You don't get the
benefits of the community development model without the loss of some
control.

Mike