[sldev] 3rd party viewer policy post on blogs.secondlife.com

Lilly pixelgirls at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 10:22:49 PDT 2009

Rob, I'm sorry, but your representative on the forum posts only to
_agree_ with statments issued by the most anti open source 3rd party
viewer of all SL's residents.
I see that as a way to encourage cons arguments. All of this looks
like a huge masquerade, it's just a pity.
I don't feel you're honnest with us. So, please, go on, tell us what
all of this is really about, that will save us some time, and won't
divert me more 2 days before the warp & strike.

Le 21 oct. 09 à 17:52, Rob Lanphier a écrit :

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:44 AM, Morgaine <morgaine.dinova at googlemail.com
> > wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:34 AM, Rob Lanphier <robla at lindenlab.com>
> wrote:
> it's really important that you also post your thoughts on the forum
> as well.  If you disagree with what is being said there, the last
> thing you should do is cede the venue to those you disagree with.
> Rob, could you perhaps explain to us WHY you believe that we should
> do this, please?
>

> Linden Lab is currently crafting a policy, with community input.
> It's not a process we can do fully in the open, because there are
> many, many factors involved here that don't lend themselves to a
> fully public process.  Still, it's a more open process than the vast
> majority of companies in our position would conduct.
>
> We're gathering input via many channels, with the forum being at the
> center of our current efforts.  It's not the quantity of comments
> that will sway Linden opinion on this, but the persuasiveness of the
> arguments.  If this community demonstrates an ability to engage the
> wider community with a thoughtful dialog, that will hold a lot of
> sway.  Not merely by stating your opinion, but by engaging others
> holding opposing views.  You may not convince the person you're
> debating, but you may convince a few people that are reading the
> thread who are forming their own opinion.
>
> A lot of Lindens who need to hear what you have to say are tuned in
> to that conversation, even if they aren't actively participating.
>
> Rob

> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev
> privileges

Lilly