[sldev] SL 2.0?

Opensource Obscure open at autistici.org
Sat Jan 9 12:18:32 PST 2010

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 20:58:54 +0100, Lance Corrimal
<Lance.Corrimal at eregion.de> wrote:
> Just saw this on a forum...
>
> "SL is catching up to BM in the visual area with SL 2.0 which will
> have global illumination (shadow), direct mesh model import and C++
> programming, it's due to release in by March."

(I assume you already read recent articles in the
official LL blog)

* re: rendering

shadows are already in the main viewer (even if not
enabled by default, and you must use Debug Settings
to enable them)

since 8 months ago, you could also compile sources
from the Render-pipeline branch and build a viewer with
even more advanced illumination features, e.g.
- projected textures:
http://friendfeed.com/secondlife/c3a6d17b/how-to-build-your-own-sl-viewer-with
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaMtPsL_aaE
- projected video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHF6y_iqTi8

according to Andrew Linden, the rendering in
SL Viewer 2.0 will be the same than in Snowglobe
http://friendfeed.com/secondlife/6029352b/some-details-about-future-development-of

* re: programming
don't expect C++, but C# instead. I didn't hear any
ETA about it, but according to Babbage Linden, "the C#
implementation in SL is going to be fairly complete".
(Personally I think that will come some time after
the new Viewer release)

you won't find Viewer 2.0 sources yet, but we had some
confirmation from various Linden employees that
Viewer 2.0 will still be open source.
also read what Andrew Linden said about this at
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Andrew_Linden/Office_Hours/2010_01_07#msg_53

HTH. ciao,
Opensource Obscure
--