[opensource-dev] step by step guide to compiling snowglobe

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Fri Feb 19 04:42:38 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 01:06:54PM -0600, Jonathan Irvin wrote:
> As far as SnowGlobe goes, I wish it was more modular like linux goes.  To where
> we can add packages or remove them from the base install to grant us this or
> that.  When one module gets updated we can just download it as needed.

I would like that too, but... as long as "we" want to stay in sync with the
"official" viewer of Linden Lab (or they with us), we cannot make any large
changes.

I consider this a very bad thing personally, so I'm not in favour of staying
in sync. I think Snowglobe would benefit to let go of trying to be merge-able
with the "official viewer" and start to really allow BIG changes.

> Also....Hey Linden Labs, when are we going to put Second Life in linux package
> format so we can just link to your repo and have us be able to install and
> upgrade from our respective package managers, i.e Yum & Apt-Get?

Actually, that is the task of linux distributors. For example, in the case
of debian, of volunteers that become "package manager" for a specific packet.
In our case, that would be Robin Cornelius. It's not fair to look at Linden
Lab for making linux packages for every distribution out there.

However, they *should* listen to package managers with some kind of priority.
If those request a bug fix that only LL can fix, then that is backed up by
a very large number of users and should get high priority.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>