[opensource-dev] FAQ posted for Third Party Viewer Policy

Bryon Ruxton bryon at slearth.com
Sun Feb 28 17:30:39 PST 2010

Morgaine, I think your statement is a misunderstanding on your part. It¹s
not ³just promotion².

You don¹t have a choice but to be be listed AND comply if you want to
legitimately connect to the grid with your viewer. As originally intended by
LL. They are not exclusive as currently implemented and described, unless
they change that: ³agree to our Policy on Third-Party Viewers and the Second
Life Terms of Service. If you do not agree, you are ineligible for the
Viewer Directory, and you do not have permission to access Second Life using
a third-party viewer.³

i.e. You either comply AND feature in the "viewer registry". OR ignore it,
as you said and you¹d be in breach of the TOS as such: ³5.6 You will
indemnify Linden lab from claims arising from breach of this Agreement by
you, from your use of Second Life, from loss of Content due to your actions,
or from alleged infringement by you².

And I don¹t think opting out of the "viewer registry" should or ever will be
an option.