[opensource-dev] Script Memory Limits UI

Michael Schlenker schlenk at uni-oldenburg.de
Sat Mar 6 12:41:01 PST 2010

Am 06.03.2010 um 21:25 schrieb Marine Kelley:

> Does that mean we have to modify ALL our scripts to add function calls to tailor the memory right, most of the time not even knowing how much is needed ? I thought the memory taken by Mono scripts was variable, to a maximum of 64k, as opposed to LSL which takes 16k no matter what...
>
> If that's the case, if we have to modify all our scripts, after switching to Mono (which in itself was a tremendous work because it implied merging scripts and updating everything to our customers), then I am sorry to say the interest of using Mono over LSL has suddenly gone through the floor.

The comment from Kelly Linden on the blog didn't sound like it, it was more like:
- The default allowed memory footprint of a mono script is 64 kB
- In the future a mono script will be allowed to request more OR less maximum memory for itself
- IF you know that your script only needs a tiny amount of memory, you can set its limit lower to ease the pressure on the sim
  (which makes it an option for example to use 16 scripts with 4 kB and trivial functions instead of one 64 kB script that needs to multiplex things)
- We don't want to break content. Most of the time we cannot guarantee or measure the maximum memory usage of a script and to prevent bad effects like prims that only work when the phase of the moon is right (aka the garbage collector timing) we simply assume a static maximum of 64kB.

I agree on the issue of a horrible UI for the 2.0er memory usage though. It should simply sum the number of scripts and show how many LSL and how many Mono scripts are involved. The 16kB/64kB details are misleading and useless.

Michael