[opensource-dev] Wiki posting: Open Source Repository Strategy

Kent Quirk (Q Linden) q at lindenlab.com
Mon Mar 22 07:05:33 PDT 2010

On Mar 22, 2010, at 12:58 AM, Latif Khalifa wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Kent Quirk (Q Linden) <q at lindenlab.com> wrote:
>> Hi, all. I've created a draft of our repository strategy for how we will be handling open development branches at LL, and posted an annotated diagram on the wiki.
>>
>>        https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Repository_Strategy
>>
>> Questions and constructive commentary are encouraged. Since it's policy we intend to follow, please edit only for clarity. If it needs substantive tweaking, please let us do it.
>
> Hello Q,
>
> It would help me better understand this process if I put some version
> numbers on it (as of this moment).  viewer-public branch is the
> current 2.0 viewer, viewer-release (if it exists atm) would be 2.1 and
> viewer-private features that are going to be added in 2.2 and beyond.
> Please correct me if my understanding is correct.

Well, this process isn't all in place at this point. We'll finish setting it up once we've shipped Viewer 2 as the official release.

But assuming we've gotten to that point, then viewer-public will contain some 2.1 work, and viewer-private will also contain some 2.1 work. When we're close to releasing 2.1, we'll merge to private and create the release branch. At that point, the private branch becomes 2.2 and 2.1 development is finished on release.

> Also, I think that we would need more than a single viewer-external
> branch in the public svn. There should probably be branching of
> viewer-external to viewer_2_0 just before we export viewer-public to
> viewer-external at the point M on the diagram.

You're right -- this diagram is a bit limited. I'm certain we'll have multiple branches, and we should have a place where someone can go to get the definitive source for any given release. Thanks.