[opensource-dev] The Plan for Snowglobe

mysticaldemina at xrgrid.com mysticaldemina at xrgrid.com
Sat Sep 11 09:49:41 PDT 2010

I think it goes further than that.  The trick to making it simple is to make
it so intuitive that the user knows instinctively what to do.  This
basically means creating things that we are already familiar with.  It is
not intuitive to navigate, need a navigation HUD that is so obvious you know
what to do.  The use of inventory is not intuitive and you have to figure
out how to wear stuff, how to take stuff off.  What I am even wearing.  I
can't preview easy.  Just as an example should be a changing room or
something.  How do I know I can do animations, how do I see which ones do
what?  The user interface is using a 2D solution that hasn't evolved in 20
years.  Not intuitive to know where to go.  Maps, other things need to be
more familiar.  The grid map is so uninteresting and not intuitive.
Showcase and search are not clear.

This whole problem of new user experience is more than viewer 1, or viewer
2, it has to do with the whole concept of how users understand what they see
and relate that to what they know.  Nothing about this interface, except the
actual 3D space is familiar in anyway.  I think this is why I find the
viewer 2 UI so disappointing; it brought nothing new to the table on how to
do user-interfaces.

A few things that could help is making the user interface more active,
meaning objects that can do something show they can do something when the
mouse if over them.  A Tool tips area on the screen that gives you
information about the object your mouse is over some where on the screen.
Option for descriptive menus that explain option, or short menus.   Wizards
that tell you what step you are on.

People say it isn't a game, but many games have made significant progress in
user interface design, I don't see any of this being implemented.

All I have heard about viewer 2 UI is it solved some of the technical issues
to maintain the complexity of the UI.  I haven't really heard how it solves
the use cases of the user or content designer.  User wears clothes.  User
navigates.  User puts new object in world, User creates and object.  User
finds an object in their inventory.  User wants to find something to do.

Few other notes, is it is stressful to learn something new, need to reward
the user.  Give them something, make it fun.  Play videos that show them,
then they do it.  Don't know, but lots that can be done.

M.

  _____