[opensource-dev] opensource-dev Digest, Vol 78, Issue 26

Darien Caldwell darien.caldwell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 09:59:29 PST 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Brent Racobs <
flats_fixed at flatsfixedbicycles.com> wrote:

>> This has been the largest waist of Linden Lab's money in development I
> have ever had a chance to watch.
> the x86 cpu is an ancient devices.
> The thought of looking at all the commits on scripts for "ARCH" is insane.
> As many of us have watched this OZ we pretty much watched you single
> handed steal money from linden lab's
> for unnecessary work.  Windows 7 is no longer supported by windows on 99
> percent of the machines Vivox makes a 64 bit
>  plugin for you.
> Fact OZ your wonderful Autobuild I do like has become a joke. ARMS 32 cpu
> will be fazed out soon the viewer has no use for it.
> Just take the work Imprudence did in 2009 and stop ripping off Linden
> Lab's ok.
> Mac is now only supporting 64 bit since last year. Windows 10 is the same.
> At this point your team has pretty much become worthless writing commits
> for ARCH
>
> This is real simple stuff in the opensource community.
> To create a build system that requires scripts to build 32 and 64 bit when
> there is no need to
> do this.
> And to think Linden Labs is this blind to watch you rip them off is nut's.
>  build your 64 bit lib's and build the  viewer. Fix the code in the client
> like we all have been doing
> for years so it compiles stop ripping off Linden Labs.
>

> It's not 'stealing money', it's their job. I'll be honest I barely follow
what you're trying to say, but I do see of factual inaccuracies.
- Windows 7 is still being run on 40% of machines worldwide; whether
Microsoft continues to support it officially or not is irrelevant.
- Windows 10 *does* support 32 bit, both as an O/S version, and as the
ability to run 32 bit executables. 32 bit isn't going away. And since some
key libraries such as Havok only have 32 bit versions, a 32 bit Viewer will
always be required.
- The whole point of LL having an Open Source program is to share the
viewer code with the community. Nobody is "Ripping LL off", LL does what
they do to share the fruits of their labor with the community. In short
they *want* the community to use their work. Otherwise they wouldn't
publish anything. And in turn the community supplies them with code as well
(which they are choosy about accepting, as is their right).

As for Apple, IMHO it can DIAF, but trying to support it certainly isn't a
waste if a large enough % of users use that O/S.  I'm pretty sure LL is in
a far better position to judge what is and isn't a waste of their resources
than you are.