[sldev] Texture Garbage Collection (was Re: UMA Grid - Offline for a bit)

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Apr 8 12:46:12 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 14:56 -0400, Jason Giglio wrote:
> James Cook wrote:
> > There is garbage collection, but as you noted it is very slow. Basically
> > we scan the entire world dataset, including inventory items, region
>
> So this means that UUIDs can be recycled?

Not sure how SL generates UUIDs, there's no exact standard, but if
you're not worried about leaking such information, you can encode in the
current time since epoch (in milliseconds!), and the hostname of the
machine generating the uuid, thus making it essentially impossible to
have UUID collisions, assuming no tampering is involved. You'd have to
have two processes running on the same machine generating a UUID at the
exact same millisecond, with the same random seed, and even that can be
prevented with some locking...

Birthday paradox yadda yadda...

The short answer is, I'd have to RTFS, assuming any UUID generation
happens in the client, rather than the server...