[sldev] Re: Vote for voice protocol documentation

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Wed Aug 15 20:39:37 PDT 2007

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 01:46 -0700, John Hurliman wrote:
>
>> I think that smart open source installers or viewers are the way to
>> resolve this for now. Pick up the Kakadu library while they are at it
>> and get equivalent performance (or better) to the official viewer, along
>> with full voice support in a legitimate distribution. There are no usage
>> rights in question here, only distribution rights and this is a common
>> solution in Gentoo ebuilds. I don't have enough experience with Fedora,
>> but would it also work there Callum?
>>

> You do not seem to understand what "Free and Open Source" really means,
> for that matter neither does Phillip, judging from his recent speech. He
> seems to only understand that open source = win. Which is a good
> start...
>
> As far as Fedora goes:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#head-c23c2cd3782be842dc7ab40c35199c07cfbfe347

I never made a claim that I could define language semantics better then
yourself, but that is unfortunate about the Fedora packaging situation.

For individuals and companies as well as other Linux distributions the
solution would be viable and I know several sldev members have already
made headway with it. Personally I would prefer to see a viewer patch
that is able to find third party libraries better (instead of the smart
installer), has any progress like that been made or am I unwittingly
volunteering?