[sldev] New Viewer Shell Proposal

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Aug 23 01:34:27 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 11:38 +0200, Dale Glass wrote:
> 1. Make the UI an independent thread. I want UI to work always at the
> same speed things work in the OS. It's incredibly annoying to get
> scripting or even chatting done at 2 FPS (fortunately I don't have to
> endure this torture anymore but many people still do). If the UI wasn't
> laggy, bad framerate would be a lot more tolerable.

I don't know how threadable OpenGL is. Theoretically you should be able
to render the world to an offscreen texture at an independent framerate,
and composite it with the UI, but I don't know if OpenGL drivers are up
to doing this in one process. I suppose you could do it with separate
OpenGL contexts... Doing this kind of thing in separate processes is
basically how OSX's entire rendering model works, and presumably Vista.
And Xorg is finally gaining this ability:

http://hoegsberg.blogspot.com/2007/08/redirected-direct-rendering.html

Or you could just draw the widgets with 2D API that could then easily be
done outside the OpenGL window. Which I am all for.

And/Or:

http://cairographics.org/OpenGL/