[sldev] reducing network traffic

Anna Gulaev annagulaev at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 17:13:26 PST 2007

On 12/10/07, John Hurliman wrote:

> You can almost entirely suppress LayerData packets by sending another
> AgentThrottle packet with Land (or is it Terrain?) set to 0, if you want
> to see the world without any ground.

Okay, I tried that and it didn't seem to do anything. Thinking I might have
done something wrong, I simplified things by replaced this line...

dp.packF32( mThrottles[i] * 1024.0f, "Throttle");

with these lines...

if ( i==1)
        dp.packF32( 0. * 1024.0f, "Throttle");
else
        dp.packF32( mThrottles[i] * 1024.0f, "Throttle");

in LLViewerThrottleGroup::sendToSim(). It should now be incapable of sending
an AgentUpdate with anything but zero for the Land throttle. Confirmed in my
log that the AgentUpdate is being sent.

Still, I receive LayerData packets.

So I thought maybe it doesn't like zero and ignores it. Tried 1. Tried 5.
Tried 10. Tried 100. No difference in the number of LayerData packets I
receive.

FWIW the number it wants to send before I override it is 87.7.