[sldev] The criminalization of open source

nikki at cf-estates.com nikki at cf-estates.com
Tue Dec 18 21:03:53 PST 2007

Quoting Dzonatas <dzonatas at dzonux.net>:

> nikki at cf-estates.com wrote:
>> The TOS stating the Linden is valueless is not fact. It is only a
>> common misperception from a careless read or repeated rumors. There
>>  is no actual fact to the idea and it won't invalidate damages in
>> court.
>
> When you quoted me, you left out some bits of my e-mail, like this:

I do try to keep replies down to what I'm addressing

> "The TOS does not state that the Linden Dollar has value. The TOS does
> not prevent the Linden Dollar from having value. Who claims there is
> value?"

I was addressing your clear and repeated claim the TOS states the L$
has no value would this statement be retreating from that claim?

As far as the TOS not declaring a value it doesn't have to declare a
value for a value to exist. The market determines value not Linden Lab
or the defendant.

> And, also the bit about section 1.3 that says it is more about the
> respect of rights.

That section is totally irrelevant to any discussion of whether the
TOS declares the Linden valueless.

> DMCA and other copyright law can go so far. It is not foolproof --
> especially where such law has no jurisdiction.

The law lacks jurisdiction over copyright infringement in SL?