[sldev] Plugin API Architecture for Second Life

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 23:28:14 PST 2007

On 2/13/07, Tofu Linden <tofu.linden at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> Sadly I think that discussion is quite orthogonal to the more important
> question of what the plugin API should look like, i.e. what
> functionality needs to be exposed to plugins and what the interface to
> that functionality should look like.  Once that interface is
> established, binding it to a scripting language is usually fairly
> straightforward.
>
> The question behind that of exposed functionality should be: what
> do people anticipate doing with such plugins?  'Everything' is perhaps
> not a very useful answer for initial API planning.  :)

"Everything" sounds like a good start.  Failing that, my raytracing
engine needs hooks into the low-level geometry-generation code to
suppress the normal OpenGL output, and instead generate raytracing
primitives.  A hook into the high-level geometry-generation routine
would also be required to inject the resulting image back into the
client.  Hooks into the initialization code, the main loop (for
synchronization), and the ability to create new preferences tabs would
also be nice.

--
Mark
Carnildo Greenacre