[sldev] Re: Texture bugs.

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 00:34:12 PST 2007

Mark Wagner wrote:
> Once you know the relation between an IP address and a name, there are
> all sorts of nasty things you can do.  See, for example, the history
> of IRC warfare.

Even so, most IRC networks still don't cloak by default.  Everyone in
#secondlife is exposing their IP and nick!  I bet they didn't even think
twice about it.  It really isn't a big deal.

Knowing that Gigs Taggart is 65.102.117.23 is a big jump from knowing
that Jason Giglio is that IP.  Dynamic IPs make even that information
not very reliable.

I still think a global opt-in/opt-out would be plenty.  Just like the
client asks you if you want to enable parcel streaming media (once), it
could ask you once if you want to enable dynamic textures.  Later on,
you could change that option in the preferences.

That way people who want full anonymity get it without punishing people
who aren't paranoid by annoying them with dialog boxes every time they
attach a HUD.  Win-win.

-Jason