[sldev] Possible 3rd party contract for viewer modification

Soft Linden soft at lindenlab.com
Wed Jun 20 17:56:40 PDT 2007

A company with a significant in-world presence has approached Linden
Lab about the best way to upload a very, very large number of images
in Second Life. The viewer is useful for uploading small batches of
images, but nothing like the number they've asked about.

To me, what would make sense would be a patch to the viewer that can
read image URLs from a database, grab images via curl, and post the
asset IDs of successful uploads back to the database. Ideally, this
would let them run a small farm of machines chewing through the image
set. I'm suggesting we propose this to them, and their likely next
question would be who could make such a patch to the viewer.

If you're interested in being named, please write me off-list with
contact information and a paragraph or two that you'd like to be
passed on. I can't be a running intermediary, but I'll gladly
facilitate the initial connection. I'm also going to point them at our
developer page for a list of possible candidates:
http://secondlife.com/developers/listings.php?category=SoftwareDeveloper

Also, if you're not listed above but you'd like to be, consider
filling out the form here. If you've had patches accepted in the past,
the form should be all you need in order to be listed:
http://secondlife.com/developers/submission.php

I'd love to get one of our existing contributors on this. :)