Simulator Baking Questions (was Re: [sldev] Opening the server source?)

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Tue Jun 26 23:01:37 PDT 2007

On 6/26/07, kelly at lindenlab.com <kelly at lindenlab.com> wrote:

>> I would be glad to explain how things work.  I think we have a system
>> overview somewhere on the wiki already, but if we don't I could
>> create it.
>>  If there is a more specific question (or set of questions) I would be
>> happy to answer them.  I was going to suggest just emailing me, but
>> perhaps a wiki page / FAQ would be better.  If anyone wants to set
>> one up
>> and populate it with a couple questions I can see about answering them.
>>
>> Questions I am imagining are like "what happens when this message is
>> sent
>> to the sim?" or "what specifically causes this message to be sent to the
>> viewer?" or "why does this happen?".  To be clear, I may not be able to
>> answer all questions but Soft and I should be able to find those who
>> can.

What exactly is the criteria for an image getting rejected or accepted
by the server? Dimensions, compression rate, number of layers, number of
comps, etc.

What is the criteria for baked images? JPEG2000 comments, dimensions,
number of layers, etc.

If we are able to store five layer images on the asset server, could an
avatar have a "permanent bake" where it always references images off the
asset server when it logs in, and never changes outfits so it never has
to worry about uploading temporary bake assets?

John Hurliman