[sldev] Re: Second Life User Experience

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 12:29:59 PDT 2007

On Mar 14, 2007, at 11:23 AM, Richard Nelson wrote:
>> Need: Open folder in new tab.

> Do you mean show a new tab that only contains the contents of that
> folder?

Yep! Like a cross between explorer/finder (as you note) and Firefox
tabs.

> We just dipped our toes in the water with recent items and added
> some basic infrastructure for user-created filters as tabs.

YES YES YES YES YES

>   For example, how about "Worn Items"?

My first reaction was that the workaround {search for '(worn'} works
well, but it's definitely a "geek trick" and making that a filter
element would be friendlier, especially as a tab.

>> Don't throw the folders around as quickly when dragging.
>
> Are you referring to folders auto-opening when dragging over them,
> or the auto-scroll rate?

Auto-opening and auto-closing. When you auto-open a folder you
probably shouldn't close it again until the mouse pointer is outside
the folder *and* has been so for a couple of seconds... or even until
the mouse is released. I'm always dropping things into the wrong
folder because a folder closed above the mouse position.

Oh, while I think of it... "Wear" and "Delete" are too close
together. :)

>> When I close a folder, then close the inventory window, then open the
>> inventory window again, why does that folder open again?

> This was entered as a bug and is supposed to be fixed.  Do you
> still see this behavior in the latest release?

I'll check that out when I get a chance.

>> When I clear the search box, why doesn't the selection stay in view?

> It should, and in my testing, does.  Do you have a particular repro?

Search for something REALLY common, that's found in dozens of
folders, and pick one that's near the end of the resulting "exploded"
folder list... something you have to scroll down a few pages. Then
click on the *folder* it's in.