[sldev] GPLed submissions

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Fri Mar 16 17:23:04 PDT 2007

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 17:33 -0700, John Hurliman wrote:
>
>> They couldn't do any of this if there was a GPL infection in the viewer code.
>>

> Except for the fact that the viewer *IS* GPL. The problem isn't the GPL,
> the problem is having copyright ownership over the code so that they can
> dual-license and re-license it anyway they like. Which is what they're
> enforcing.
>
> Copyright holders get to do whatever they like.

Exactly. That's what I was trying to say but I think you get the point
across better, except I wouldn't say the viewer "is" GPL any more then
it "is" sold under proprietary licenses to third parties or released
under a proprietary license as a binary only on secondlife.com. It just
happens to have versions available under GPL+FLOSS as well. The code is
still as vulnerable to GPL infections as it was before the open source
release, unless you are talking about creating a fork that won't be able
to merge back in to the main, multi-licensed code base.

John Hurliman