[sldev] Multithreading, Garbage collection, Caching

Zack Geers kunnis at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 09:00:40 PDT 2007

Warning:  I've been busy IRL and I haven't gotten to see the changes in the
past month or so, so I'm slightly out of date.  My info may be old.

The render pipeline is all in one thread.  The JPEG2000 decoder is in
another, and all the disk IO is in it's on thread too.  The reason why you
don't see more FPS on a dual-core system is there is only one render
pipeline thread, which is what defines your FPS.  The render pipeline would
need to be split to support multiple threads; it's a good idea, and I think
some other people have been doing thread-safety  improvements, but it's also
a complex fix.  There's still a lot of other single-threaded work that needs
to be done on the render pipeline to make it run faster IMHO before digging
into multi-threaded.

Kunnis Basiat