[sldev] Texture caching

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 05:51:37 PDT 2007

Umm. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.... Actually, _please_ someone tell
me that I'm wrong.

                case LLAgent::TELEPORT_START_ARRIVAL:
                        // Transition to ARRIVING.  Viewer has received
avatar update, etc., from destination simulator
                        gTeleportArrivalTimer.reset();

gViewerWindow->setProgressCancelButtonVisible(FALSE, "Cancel");
                        gViewerWindow->setProgressPercent(75.f);
                        gAgent.setTeleportState(
LLAgent::TELEPORT_ARRIVING );
                        gAgent.setTeleportMessage("Arriving...");
This >>>>        gImageList.mForceResetTextureStats = TRUE;
                        break;

Now, I've glanced through. Doesn't this result in setting the max memory
cache size for textures back to zero, essentially discarding all
in-memory textures?

Wouldn't it be better to let the least-recently-seen algorithm take care
of invalidation?

So, am I wrong? Is this _not_ causing the viewer to discard all textures
cached in-memory during a teleport? (Evidence suggests strongly that
in-memory textures are being discarded on a teleport, and I'm pretty
sure that it's not necessary given the algorithms to manage that storage
- I let a location load for minutes, teleport away and teleport back,
and spend almost as many minutes watching those textures from 30 seconds
ago load and decode from the disk cache)

--
Tateru Nino
http://dwellonit.blogspot.com/